Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Joys of Teaching English: Phase One

I have an intensive English course this week; this means the participants - all business people - are there from 8.30 until 15.00 from Monday to Friday.
The level is elementary and yesterday we were doing the verb "to be". There was an exercise where they had to correct statements which are wrong and we came to the sentence:

"A Rolls-Royce is cheap".

To which the students are supposed to say,

"No, a Rolls-Royce isn't cheap. A Rolls-Royce is expensive", thereby practising the negative form of "to be" and adjectives.

Gripping stuff...yawn.

But there are some students who can unwittingly make the most unpromising material funny.

"A Rolls-Royce is cheap..." I read.

"No", said one of the students, "a Rolls-Royce is not a jeep; it is a limousine."

Brilliant!

1 comment:

Staci Ball said...

I was reading random blogs when I came across yours. I identified a lot with this post as I've spent some time teaching English classes myself, though I was in Hungary. Those kinds of activities can get tedious, so I always appreciated a creative student.