Saturday, March 11, 2006

Peanut Shock Horror Revelation

Talk about "learn something new every day"!

I was dozing in front of Gallileo round about 7 this evening...Gallileo the TV program supposed to be about knowledge and science but usually about dead bodies and how they make bottle-openers, not Gallileo the Italian leaning-tower-of-Pisa-climbing, cannonball-throwing-offer...
I often nod off between 6 and 7.30 in the evening which means I either miss the end of the first Simpsons episode at 6 or the start of the second at 6.30...or I get through them only to snooze my way through the aforementioned Gallileo at 7.

I don't know about you but I have about three of these dozy, snoozy off periods during the day. The first around 10.30 in the morning, then one in the afternoon around 2 and then this early evening desire for forty winks.
The one in the afternoon is especially bad if you have a lecture on, say, Aristotles' Ethics as we used to at University on a Monday afternoon.
It was normally even more especially bad because we used to make sure we had a couple of pints of Mitchells&Butlers inside us knowing that the lecture would bore the behinds off us. That meant the hour between 2 and 3 saw a titanic struggle take place between two very visceral urges; one to visit the land of nod and the other, a very urgent urge, to visit the bathroom.

This sleepiness in the day thing has often made me think that I live in the wrong time zone cos at night I can't sleep at all! I probably should live on an island somewhere in the South Pacific. That might just be the cure for my nocturnal insomnia!

However, what, you may ask, has this to do with my learning something new every day and the Peanut Shock Horror Revelation. And the answer is "not very much, actually" except that I was so amazed by what Gallileo (the programme) had to say that I didn't nod off...

It turns out that a peanut is NOT A NUT!!!! This little red-coated imposter, this treacherous denizen of the Snickers Bar belongs not to the nut family of walnuts, hazelnuts and brazil nuts but to the legume family, lentils and peas and beans and all that lot!

This has thrown my world into disarray; I am epistemologically challenged; I have never been so shocked!! Shell shocked...nutshell shocked...

No comments: