Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Don't Know What This Proves...If Anything...

I played a gig last night in a bar in Munich. It was the first solo gig I have done in ages. As always it was a mixed public but there were lots of Americans in their early 20s who really enjoyed it and came up to me after and said things like, "hey, good gig, man", "oh man, good music", "oh wow man, that was cool!"
This is all very gratifying of course but they were in their early twenties, right, and I am in my...ahem...advanced 40s, playing music from, say, 30 years ago. Now when I was 20....way back in...oh my god...1975, if some almost 50 year-old guy had got up in a bar and started playing music from 30 years before, late 1940s, then I don't think we would have been clapping, dancing and singing along...

Hmmm...I would welcome your comments on this curious phenomenon...

2 comments:

Doris said...

Hey, we're hip man! Simple as that! No phenomenon, we're just damned good :-)

It is bizarre but take it at face value. They liked it and said so. They didn't have to. And for what it's worth, I love and always have loved 40s music.

Neutron said...

Big band music...oh yes!! But I was considered a bit weird for liking it when I was a student.